Wharton Leadership Ventures (WLV) bring participants into settings where they can learn from the experience of others whose leadership was on the line, and also from their own experience in confronting challenges and solving problems.
How WLV Teaches Leadership
WLV provide a set of engaged, hands-on experiences for exploring and mastering the capabilities for effective individual and team leadership in business and beyond. Leadership Ventures are experiences that facilitate self-discovery, leadership, and character development. Participants are able to step out of their comfort zone, exceed personal limitations, and experience leadership firsthand. There are three types of Leadership Ventures:
Workshops: are one day are targeted towards the development of specific leadership skills and competencies. Workshops are local and at no cost.
Intensives: range from one-two days and tend to be low-medium in physical intensity. Intensives are within driving distance of Wharton.
Expeditions: range from six-14 day overnight trips and tend to be high in physical intensity. Expeditions span the globe and have varying levels of cost. Expeditions are outdoor, experiential-based treks that provide genuine environments of uncertainty and challenge. Their defining characteristics include:
- Limited distractions
- Immersion event — limited opportunities to quit or exit
- Critical decision-making — the outcome is dependent on the decisions of the leader of the day and the team
- Authentic uncertainty —path/process to goal or outcome is not guaranteed, risk of failure is inherent
- Opportunities of stress — from ambiguity, risk of failure, conflict, and unfamiliar roles and responsibilities
- Expedition and Goal-oriented with many opportunities for reflection
Red Rocks & Patagonia Spring Break 2016 Expeditions Registration is Now Open until Monday, November 30, 2015 at 5:00 PM EST. Apply here.
WLV Advisory Board
The WLV Undergraduate Advisory Board, a group of committed students who coordinate each venture, meets weekly throughout the year. Applications for board membership are accepted in the spring semester.
Dates and registration procedures for all WLV events are announced through email.